Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Plan B from time and space

Our plan for the weekend: travel down to parents on Saturday and be uncly at my nephew and niece; do the Sarsen Walk Sunday; visit grandmother for lunch on Monday and collect mystery wedding present. What could go wrong?

Plan A started to show cracks on Friday evening when the Boy was in bed, fast asleep, with a vile cold, at 6pm. Not something to risk exposing nephews and nieces to, and we could probably wipe out a large proportion of Salisbury's geriatric population if we introduced it to 97 year old grandmother and the fellow inmates of her retirement home. But Plan B wasn't half bad. Saturday, the day of really quite nice weather, saw a visit to the Heritage Motor Museum at Gaydon, with gokarts and the 4x4 experience, then the scenic route home via the Fosse Way in the sunshine and icecreams in Burford. Sunday was basically taken off. Monday we commenced our assault on the second last room to require decorating, and the just-about-recovered Boy composed an article for Wikipedia on his soon-to-be stepdad. (Which I carefully haven't tampered with because the spirit of Wikipedia is not self-promotion ... though I did change the title of the piece, where he had put my surname in all lowercase. Prepositions at the end of sentences I don't mind but bad capitalisation is something I will not put up with.)

Of course, if anyone reasonably au fait with my career to date wants to have a go at tidying it up, be my guest ...

So there are worse ways to spend a weekend.

Of course, Plans A and B, and any other plans we may have had to draft from Plan C through to Z then A1 and beyond, all included Dr Who on Saturday night. Ah, Sarah Jane! The first woman I ever fancied still looks pretty darn good. A touch more wrinkly round the eyes, but apart from that. She's probably someone's gran. I don't care. Look, I was at an all boys boarding school when the hormones started to kick in, at the same time as this woman was on screen on a weekly basis introducing feminism to the Middle Ages, being possessed by giant spiders, fighting Daleks, kicking cyber-ass, and blowing up robotic mummies while looking absolutely stunning in a flowing white dress. Not to mention being duplicated by androids in the evil twin of East Hagbourne, grappling with giant homicidal vegetables in Dorset with Boycie from Only Fools and Horses, and evading human sacrifice in Renaissance Italy.

I owe this woman a HUGE debt. Best Beloved understands.

9 comments:

  1. I watched as my husband's eyes began to twinkle at the sight of Sarah Jame Smith. Us dearly beloveds must be understanding. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah Jame Smith? Pff. Made my contribution to your wiki. Sorry but I have forgoton your birtday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah Jane is a phenomenon you had to be there to understand.

    Simon, good to see your revision time being put to such good use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course I submitted my posting before realizing that I typed Jame instead of Jane. Doh!

    Ben, Gary and I are great fans of your blog. We always get a chuckle from reading it. You think way too much like us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:56 pm

    your place of death is now correctly spelt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. Now I'll just have to remember not to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look how I also spelt jane wrong. Not that I copied and pasted it or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:17 pm

    I can't believe you have your own Wikipedia article! I did seriously consider editing it, but haven't quite decided what I should add yet. If you find yourself implicated in any plots to assassinate American Presidents, you'll know who to look at.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.