Thursday, February 21, 2008

Pardon the convenience

When we moved into the new building last year, many of us were quick to spot the potential hazard of the toilet cubicle door that opened out rather than in, to the detriment of any man standing with his back to it at the time. Which, given the function of the room and what's on the wall facing the cubicle doors, is quite often. This was apparently in compliance with disability access legislation.

Nearly a year later, in deference to the number of men who stand and deliver (quite a few) vs the number of wheelchair users (0), and the fact that we already have a toilet fully equipped for people with disabilities that would be much easier for a wheelchair user to get into, and after much thumping and grinding that closed the toilets on each floor for a day, the doors have been reversed. All doors now open inwards and the men can breathe two sighs of relief.

Well, that's one cubicle I don't intend to use. The new lock looks flimsy. There are people in this high-tech, forward-looking company who can't master the subtlety of the little red square that appears when the door is locked, and test for occupancy with a good hard thump. I have established under controlled conditions that a good hard thump will open the door even if the flimsy lock is engaged. The other cubicle is Fort Knox by comparison.

This is probably way too much information for any of my regular readers but you never know, the facilities manager may come across it and save me the embarrassment of reporting my findings formally.

3 comments:

  1. The facilities manager would come across it quite easily if I sent her the link. Tempting, but luckily for you I'm not that cruel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, I've only administered the hard thump test on the ground floor. How's it upstairs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried hard thumping in the toilets, and y'know what, I probably won't. I think I may have heard yours though.

    We're more at risk from laceration from the razor sharp metal shards than unwanted intrusions.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.