Sunday, February 03, 2008

Occasional recipes: Beef with broccoli

This one, with astonishing ingenuity, is essentially beef with broccoli, though you'd never guess it behind the impenetrable title.

From The Cook's Recipe Collection:
  • 460g rump steak
  • 8 tbsp dark soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp cornflour
  • 2 tsp sherry
  • 225g broccoli
  • 1" root ginger, freshly peeled
  • 6 tbsp oil
  • salt & pepper
Trim any fat from the meat and cut into thin strips along the grain.

Combine the meat with the soy sauce, cornflour, sherry and sugar.

Trim the broccoli into florets. Slice the ginger into thin slices.

Stir fry the broccoli until dark green, for a max. of 2 minutes, sprinkling with salt beforehand (it says, though I neglected the salt and it tasted fine). Set aside.

Stir fry the ginger and beef mixture for about 2 minutes. Return the broccoli to the mix, heat through for about 30 seconds and serve. Which in our case was on a bed of couscous but could be with noodles or whatever takes your fancy.

Preparation takes about 25 mins, cooking takes about five. Peasy!

3 comments:

  1. Please can I request a recipe for clueless students? Minimalism is demanded by budgetary constraints but I'd love to add something to my repertoire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recommend "The Cook Survives.... Bedsitland" by Pat McCormack, of which (as of today) Amazon has 6 used and new. My mother gave this to me when I went to uni and it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheese on Toast.
    Followed by toast with jam for desert.

    Three years of that and I'm still here!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.