Monday, September 04, 2006

Plant crossing

Last month I mentioned the introduction of vegetable matter into my lunchtime rolls. Now I can no longer even mention my lunchtime rolls because it has become a lunchtime roll, singular. It still contains plants, though, and its missing twin has been replaced by a much bigger plant. In fact, a very juicy, tasty, roundish plant with red and yellow skin and a stalk and pips. But a plant none the less.

The new lunchtime ethos is "healthier, and less of it." Still, that's why we have vending machines. I will just have to work hard and tighten the belt until this evening.

Current music: Genesis, 'Return of the Giant Hogweed'

4 comments:

  1. Ben, not being funny or anything, but what did you *used* to have in your lunch box? I am clearly unused to the ways of bachelors... we spinsters have well developed relationships with plants of all kinds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poo. Or as my verification word for today would have it, bvvgtz. You've caught me out. My defence is that rolls are a few stages down the line from something that used to grow out of the earth. What now goes into the rolls, however, is a lot closer to remembering what it was like to photosynthesise and sway gently in the breeze.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you could offset your increased raw plant intake with biltong? That way the average length of time since photosynthesis would even itself out and you might feel better. Miles gets round my objection to meat by buying it off local farmers who still have blood under their fingernails. I find this more gruesome but infinitely more palatable, and take my hat off to him for finding a creative solution.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:11 am

    Ben, I was hoping you were going to say that your lunch was full of Cheese Strings, Nik Naks and Sunny D.

    Verification word: Yurle
    Definition: Midwest American term used when threatening a child.
    Used in a sentence: Yurle go chop those logs or yurle get a rootin' tootin' hindin' from me, boy.

    Bvvgtz is a yiddish term of disgust...

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.