Thursday, September 07, 2006

Anything you still can’t cope with is therefore your own problem

We have normality, or what will become it. Until the start of this week, of course, normality has consisted of me going off to work every day leaving wife and child behind to enjoy their summer break. So maybe it’s more accurate to say we now have full unusuality, which after six and a half weeks (which is how long we’ve been married) will become the new normality.

Best Beloved started back at work on Monday and the Boy returns to school today. Three of us looking reasonably smart before 8 a.m. – a whole new experience. Once again I have to look carefully from left to right as the car crawls out of the drive, to dodge the swarms of children on bikes, and the roads are clogged. This is what life is all about.

What I don’t get is why the roads are clogged on the way to work. I can understand the roads leading to schools being fuller than usual but not the roads leading to far-flung high energy research establishments. We don’t have children here ... um ... do we? I suppose they have to send someone down to clean the pipes.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:52 pm

    Actually, I can perfectly understand why there might be children around a high-energy research facility. When scientists understand what exactly powers my VERY active three-year-old and one-year-old boys (because it sure isn't the amount food they eat. Photosynthesis, nuclear fission? God knows), then I'm convinced the world's energy problems will be sorted.
    Harness toddler power and end our dependence on oil, I say. Let the studies commence.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.