Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Still waiting for the jetpacks, though

A few years ago I was staying in a hotel and reading the little advice card they put out for guests. One of the items was: "in the event of a medical emergency, just call the doctor on this number - no STD."

So I bore that in mind for my planned activities that weekend.

This came to mind today as the department to which I am effectively seconded at work, the Advanced Technologies Group, has now become the Strategic Technologies Division. Snarf, sniggle, snort.

Speaking of advanced technologies, this flat's non-stop progression towards the Singularity continues unabated with my taking advantage of NTL's three-into-one bundling offer. I already had an NTL phone and broadband but now the unholy trinity has been completed with digital TV. The effects are already making themselves apparent. My usual televisual fare over dinner is a Simpsons I've seen a thousand times previously, or a Frasier I've seen once or twice - but this evening I watched a Malcolm in the Middle that I've only ever seen once before. Once! Can nothing halt this breakneck progress?

3 comments:

  1. That reminds me of my work experiance at the Advanced Materials Group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. is there a reason why the same post is posted three times that I have not yet cottoned on to?

    It could possibly be a reference to the 3in1 NTL bundles, but I don't think that you would ever stoop that low.

    Names are only chosen so that a decent acronym can be made - no-one would ever call an arms reduction treaty a treaty to reduce nuclear weapons (TRNW), no, it has to be a Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kind of kills the joke, doesn't it? Blogger was refusing to admit it had actually published anything - it was stuck in a loop of "0% published", which I foolishly assumed was true. And indeed it still says that. You never have this problem with pen and paper.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.