Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Ben: moderately gluttonous but not really lustful

The doctrine of Purgatory was invented by a micro-managing church that couldn't bear the thought of people's souls slipping out of its control just because they had died.

At least, that's what I will tell them when I get there, which apparently I am going to do.

The Dante's Inferno Test has sent you to Purgatory!
Here is how you matched up against all the levels:
LevelScore
Purgatory (Repenting Believers)Very High
Level 1 - Limbo (Virtuous Non-Believers)High
Level 2 (Lustful)Low
Level 3 (Gluttonous)Moderate
Level 4 (Prodigal and Avaricious)Very Low
Level 5 (Wrathful and Gloomy)Very Low
Level 6 - The City of Dis (Heretics)Very Low
Level 7 (Violent)Low
Level 8- the Malebolge (Fraudulent, Malicious, Panderers)Low
Level 9 - Cocytus (Treacherous)Very Low

Take the Dante's Divine Comedy Inferno Test

I may also mention (when I get there) that Article XXII of the Church of England calls Purgatory "a fond thing vainly invented, and grounded upon no warranty of Scripture; but rather repugnant to the word of God." On second thoughts, rather than risk making enemies I should probably check first: having reached Purgatory, can you slip back? Or is it like one of the guaranteed levels on Who Wants to be a Millionaire: you might not get any more but you won't get any less?

Let's hear it for grace.

2 comments:

  1. Oh bugger. I got sent to the city of Dis. And I was on my best behaviour and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say the three infernal furies don't know what they're in for.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.