Saturday, August 18, 2007

Two plus two at an APR of 15.9%

We've received a carefully tailored, personalised piece of junk mail from Capital One. (Strapline: "what's in your wallet?" Response: not Capital One and unlikely to change.) Through the little window on the front I read:
"Dear Occupier. Specially delivered by hand to ensure you receive the enclosed."
There's four flats in the building. They delivered one such envelope. Specially delivered by hand to ensure you, whoever you are, someone, anyone, we're not fussed as long as you've got money, receive the enclosed.
"Please read carefully."
So that's what I'm supposed to do with bits of paper in envelopes that come through the front door? Thanks so much, it's been bothering me for years.

I could read more but that would require opening the envelope. As one of my basic rules of life is never to open an envelope with an APR or interest rate printed on the front, it goes in the bin.

Ooh, breaking news. As I was picking the envelope to throw it in the bin's direction, I see a little message on the back beneath the flap. "Subject to handling fee. See inside for details." However will I contain my curiosity?

I'll manage.

In 1984, Winston Smith writes that "Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows." Nowadays I'd change that. Freedom is the freedom to ignore advertising, marketing, hype. To turn your back on it, to dismiss it from your life with no further thought. To continue your path through life as if the intrusion had never existed. However crappy my day, knowing I (still) (just) have that freedom always puts a little spring into my step.

2 comments:

  1. I respect your strength. Some days I manage. Some days I can casually flick through a magazine, identifying all the selling points... "lust, lust, vanity, lust, greed, lust, fear, guilt, lust..."

    Other days however I watch the adverts on tv like a little child, eyes wide open, occasionally saying "Oooh I really want one of those!" It's embarassing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the fear/lust combination that leaves me powerless.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.