Friday, February 02, 2007

Why rude health?

Health isn't rude. Illness is rude. It barges into your life, unwanted and uninvited and unannounced, and proceeds to embugger your existence without a by your leave.

A slight cold yesterday, achy sinuses, bit of a runny nose. Slept okay during the night, but fitfully; felt bored, got up at about 5 a.m. for the bathroom.

Woh! Dizziness, cramps, headache, very light headed, imperative need to return to a horizontal position ASAP. Which is how most of today has been spent, with a 39 degree temperature. Or if not completely horizontal then sitting up in bed, part horizontal and part vertical, which I suppose averages out at 45 degrees.

I honestly cannot remember missing a day at work in all the time I've been in Abingdon. Yes, I've been ill. I was laid low by some kind of gastric flu one New Year's Day - but the holiday extended over a long weekend so work was not affected. Since 2000 there was the time my back went twang at the London International Book fair and I spent a couple of days lying down; also another bout of flu. But I was working from home so could still read manuscripts. This is a novel experience. But I'll tell you one thing - it's much more fun to be ill with someone to look after you than sweating it out on your own ...

Anyway, pink elephants are floating around on the monitor and I'm pretty sure it's not some novel screen saver, so back to bed I go.

3 comments:

  1. Hope you get better soon.... er.. pink eh.... not blue, nor green, but honest to goodness pink?

    That's serious that is! 'Tis time to bring in the heavy guns...

    Dum dum da DAAAAA...

    "for only 23 pounds, the low priced people of ihaveacureflu.com are........"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do the pink elephants have various coloured spots on. If so I think its fair to say... its serious.

    Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Multi-coloured. They change from colour to colour when you're not looking. Very disconcerting.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.