Wednesday, October 03, 2007

7300 days later (not counting leap years)

Probably wouldn't be doing this if I hadn't got all historical yesterday. Blame Liz Williams for passing on the meme.

20 Years Ago, I...
...was still living at home, just. Within a month I would be moving to London and starting my first full-time job. I was part-time employed by the MOD at Boscombe Down, doing a stultifyingly dull data input job. The sheer pointless grind of it - at one point I was entering data into one computer off a printout from another - did at least inspire my story "The Data Class" some years later, and by a roundabout route help me get published in the first place.

On TV we had Blackadder the Third and Dr Who was back after an 18 month hiatus, with - um - Sylvester McCoy and - double um - Bonnie Langford. Somewhat of a mixed blessing.

At this point in my life I had never heard of Kylie Minogue, but that was to change.

15 Years Ago, I...
...was finally feeling quite good, after 11 months working there, about my new Oxford employer - the one with whom I was to stay for six years. After a very ropy start with an anally retentive inept boss who had personally overseen the decline of the entire publications schedule, we had a new editorial director who took no prisoners and actually valued my abilities.

I had no way of knowing my future stepson was just over two months old.

10 Years Ago, I...
...was on the verge of leaving said employer. See yesterday's post.

5 Years Ago, I...
...had recently returned from my first trip to the USA and was gearing up for the first issue of 3SF, Big Engine's new bimonthly magazine. This reached three published issues and was in fact to sink Big Engine, though it turned out to be a mercy killing, a bit like the torpedoes that finally sent the Bismarck to the bottom quickly even though it would have sunk by and by. I'm still very proud of it.

2 Years Ago, I...
...was identifying and trying to remove perceived obstacles in my life to getting married.

1 Year Ago, I...
...was just starting the next novel.

So far this year, I've...
...revised and resubmitted a novel, signed a contract for another, transferred the mortgage into our joint names, been to Sweden, climbed a mountain, had a close friend nearly killed and rejoiced at his recovery, dressed up as a medieval knight, watched anxiously as our road flooded, had windows restored, got a speeding ticket, broken a toilet bowl, been briefly interviewed on the radio, been to a convention, and doubtless much else.

Yesterday, I...
...twiddled my thumbs a lot.

Today, I...
...went to the Boy's Year 11 Action Target Day. Honestly, can there be anything more demotivating than to be told, in October, that you're already guaranteed a B in a particular GCSE? "But you're bright, you can aim for an A-star!" says the enthusiastic teacher. And I can aim for the north star, but it's not going to happen.

In other news, picked up some new glasses and will now do some InDesign stuff. Homegroup bring'n'share dinner this evening.

Tomorrow, I'll...
...carry on with the InDesign stuff. Probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.