Wednesday, September 19, 2007

When compliments slip

I dislike easy-target comedy. Damn the strange compulsion that makes me write this, then. We've had an email from our local alternative medicine shop who are celebrating their fifth birthday. And good for them. I say local, I mean local to where I work, which it's no great secret to say is on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus. Harwell was the site of the UK's first nuclear reactor. The Rutherford Appleton Lab is here. So are the UKAEA, the quaintly named NUKEM, the Health Protection Agency and many more. Science is big business hereabouts.

With a mammoth load of self-restraint before the cheap shots start, let me just point out that I myself am a regular receiver and beneficiary of chiropractic treatment. I keep going back because it works. Treatments of which I do not however partake include:
  • Indian Head Massage. A head massage from an Indian? A massage with the head of an Indian? A head massage for Indians only? Doesn't say.
  • Tongue Analysis. Eugh. They do forensics too?
  • PHd body waxing. !? As with the massage, my inner editor wants to know if this is body waxing by, for or from PhDs? Or a study course? Whatever, we have several PhDs at work and I can safely say just thinking of them and body wax in the same sentence makes me want to go and scrub my brain cells out.
  • Tarot readings. Yup, science rules.
And best of all is that it's free. I've read the email several times and it definitely says "complimentary health treatments".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.