Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Unwins RIP

I’ve always tried to give my alcohol-purchasing patronage to the local Unwins when I can. It's a two minute walk from home and I like to support the little man in the War Against Tesco.

The other day I wanted a bottle of wine for Friday evening. The wind was howling and the rain was lashing down, so it seemed a good idea to stop off at Unwins on the way back from work. I could park in the lay-by outside the shop.

This actually meant driving past Unwins on the other side of the road, disappearing into some side streets, taking several right turns and finally turning across the main stream of traffic to put me on the same side of the road as the lay-by. When I got there, I found the lay-by was coned off by road works. So I went home anyway, and walked back through the torrential downpour, and found that their stock consisted of about two bottles of bubbly and that was it. "Try Tesco ..." the lady suggested. So I walked back home and drove to Tesco, dripping quietly in my nice dry car.

All this, I might add, in a Friday evening rush hour, never exceeding an average speed of about 3mph. That bottle took close on an hour to purchase. Less to drink, though.

It’s all dead symbolic, because Unwins has been struggling for a year to keep its head above water. Stock at the local shop has been in steady decline for months; every time I’ve been in there has been less on offer and more effusive promises that a complete revamp by the new owners is just around the corner. Yesterday brought the news that Unwins had gone into administration, with 400+ staff laid off. Today brings the news that the remaining 1400 staff have been laid off and a buyer is being sought for the numerous properties scattered at key, community-friendly locations around the country. A sad day for small business and an even sadder one for the staff.

I’d wish them a Happy Christmas but I’m not sure those are the best words to use. No, I’m wrong, they are. If you know an ex-Unwins employee, or anyone in straitened circumstances, you can wish them a Happy Christmas and really mean the good wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.