Thursday, December 13, 2007

Points North

Have not yet seen The Golden Compass, as such has been judged Unhelpful during the period that revision for mocks is meant to be going on. Which probably means we'll see it the weekend before Christmas.

But I've been using the time to re-read Northern Lights, which my UKcentric old school mentality still prefers as the title, so I can do a proper compare and contrast when the time comes. Wow! There's so much I'd forgotten. In fact, maybe because I've now read all three books and understand it all better, I think I'm enjoying it even more second time round.

And take passages like this, as two kids, one Texan and a polar bear head north in a balloon, towed and accompanied by a squadron of witches:
"As far as the eye could see, to the very horizon in all directions, a tumbled sea of white extended without a break. Soft peaks and vaporous chasms rose or opened here and there, but mostly it looked like a solid mass of ice.

And rising through it in ones and twos and larger groups as well came small black shadows, those ragged figures of such elegance, witches on their branches of cloud-pine."
I'm warning New Line now: if that scene isn't replicated exactly as I picture it, there will be Consequences.

7 comments:

  1. You won't be happy. It's been butchered, and not least by having the line "an aleithometer - also known as a golden compass" crop up at least five times.

    On the other hand, Nicole Kidman is perfect as Mrs Coulter, plus the girl playing Lyra is good. But that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh ... dear. One must make allowances. But still. Oh ... dear.

    It's times like this that you remember the producer also did American Pie ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read the books but I've been promised (as someone nostalgic for the childhood pleasures of Susan Cooper and Alan Garner, and even Narnia at a pinch, but as boringly persistent in my loathing of the Potter boy) that I'll love them. Same source tells me the film is heavy on CGI battles and light on recreating the subtler qualities of the book, and that I should read rather than watch. But this source also tells me the first book is modelled on Paradise Lost, which I have meant to read since it was on my degree syllabus 20 years ago.

    Basically, I think I'll be seeing the film in about a year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knowledge of Paradise Lost (taught to me at A-level by an Ulster Prod - formative experience) is not required. Thankfully. If you do know it, it adds an extra dimension but probably not until book 3.

    Rowling has more of a sense of humour. Pullman is more original and grown up. Swings and roundabouts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. I'll try the first book and see how I get on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I'm planning to watch the film before I re-read the book, so that I can keep the hazy glow and not be disappointed by the details. Then I plan to re-read the books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Strangely, I couldn't read them. I started a couple of times and didn't really get into it for some reason. I'm sure I'm missing out on a lot, what with the whole 'metaphor-for-killing-God' controversy.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.