Friday, July 24, 2009

100 Things Your Kids May Never Know About

There's an elegiac little list with this title over at Wired.com: experiences, generally technological, that you may have had but your children haven't and won't. I remember far too much of it.

So, I will just mention the things on the list that I never experienced either:
  • Super-8 movies and cine film of all kinds
  • 8-track cartridges
  • Betamax tapes
  • MiniDisc
  • Laserdisc
  • Shortwave radio
  • Using jumpers to set IRQs [not even sure what this means]
  • Tweaking the volume setting on your tape deck to get a computer game to load, and waiting ages for it to actually do it
  • Daisy chaining your SCSI devices and making sure they’ve all got a different ID
  • Blowing the dust out of a NES cartridge in the hopes that it’ll load this time
  • Turning a PlayStation on its end to try and get a game to load
  • CB radios
A lot of these I was aware of, just didn't have. Anything computational completely passed me by. When I think of all those times I lamented my thrifty, technosceptic parents ... maybe they didn't do me such a disservice.

Even so, that's 12 items out of 100. My time may be passing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.