There were upsides. We actually had breakfast as a family on a weekday; we have a gas cooker so hot drinks were still in order (and there was hot water in the tank); and it was fun listening to BBC Oxford, for whom this was the most exciting thing to happen since the last thing happened that was really exciting.
- "So, we're over to Debbie in Didcot. How has the power cut affected you?"
- "Well, there's no electricity so it's cold and dark."
- "That's amazing, because we were just talking to Wendy in Wantage and she says it's cold and dark too. Okay, over to Mike in Milton."
- "Well, our power's just got back on."
- "Get off the line and stop wasting our time. Over to Lyall in Littlemore. Lyall, no electricity then?"
- "No, it's basically cold and dark ..."